Step 3 Change your thinking patternBefore we can change an oppressive pessimistic attitude toward life we need to revamp our thinking. That starts with evaluation. Ask yourself questions like:
- Why do I feel and act a certain way?
- How is my past involved?
- What circumstances trigger that behavior or thinking?
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Ps 139:23-24)When the Lord reveals the lies you believe, you need to replace it with the truth. That will give you a fresh perspective—a right and accurate one—His! And please remember this:
You need specific truths to overcome specific lies.Just waving the Bible at your issue won’t solve anything! In regards to fighting the enemy, Ephesians 6:17 says “Take…the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” The original word used here means a specific truth of God’s Word not the whole Bible. All of us will need a different type of correction in our thinking, but God knows the inner-most workings of our minds. Trust that God will show you where you are thinking wrongly. His principles are universal and will work for all— even you. How to change our thinking is a HUGE topic. I cannot give you all the answers here, but I can get you started.
- Go to the Bible with a seeking and open heart.
- Use a concordance for your research (there are free ones online).
- Write down the specific lies and truths you discover.
- Pray, believing God wants and will reveal to you specifically how to have victory.
- Thank your Teacher for every new insight.
- Choose to replace the lies with His freeing truths. (More on that later.)
Just get started in doing your part, and see how your faithful God will come through for you!THE HOLY BIBLE: NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. NIV®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica. All rights reserved worldwide