It’s spring! Trees are budding out. Forsythias and daffodils cheer us with their bright yellow blooms. Everything is coming to life with new growth after a long seemingly dead winter. All this newness refreshes our spirits and renews our hope. (Plus spring gets me itching to go hiking so I can learn new lessons!)
I don’t know about you, but spring makes me want to burst out into song. (But don’t get too close—I might hurt your ears!)
Nevertheless, it is fitting to sing a new song to the Lord—plus the Bible tells us to.
Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth. (Ps 96:1)
Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things! (Ps 98:1)
Think about it. As a believer in Christ you have lots of new things to sing about:
- You’re a new creation in Christ with a new divine nature (2 Cor 5:17)—not a changed you, but a brand new you.
- New life (Rom 6:4) through a new birth (1 Pet 1:3)
- New standing before God with a new righteousness from Christ (Rom 4:23-24)
- New way to approach God with confidence through the blood of Christ
…We have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body. (Heb 10:19-20)
- New things to learn about God, transforming you into His image
…New self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. (see Col 3:10)
- New Master
- New Father
- New hope
- New peace
- You’re under a new covenant (Heb 8:8-13)
- New freedoms—freedom from the power of sin, Satan or anything that tries to rule over you aside from God (Heb 2:14, 1 Cor 6:12). Freedom to be as God designed you to be.
- New mind and way of thinking (Rom 12:2)
- New mercies every morning (Lam 3:22-23)
- New joys as you go into God’s presence
- New experiences with God and His people
- New excitements as you see God working in you, through you, and around you.
- New trials to overcome—but with a new attitude (Eph 4:23-24)
- New strength
- New direction in life/new calling and purpose empowered with new abilities and spiritual gifts
- New family with new people to love and new people to love you.
- New citizenship in heaven (Phil 3:20)
- New future home on a new heaven and a new earth (Rev 21:1-4)
Wow! I think we’ll have a new song of praise to sing every single morning if we keep our eyes on Him! Our magnificent God deserves our praise. He is worthy of it.
I will sing a new song to you, O God; on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you…. (Ps 144:9)
So my friends, even if you don’t have a good voice, make a joyful noise to your Lord and Savior.
It is beautiful music to His ears!
Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! (Ps 95:1-2)*
Scripture taken from: THE HOLY BIBLE: NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. NIV®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica. All rights reserved worldwide.
*English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.