Easter is my favorite holiday (actually I prefer the term holy day). But this year Easter was even more special because it was also my spiritual birthday. 34 years ago Jesus saved this poor soul from spending eternity in hell! I never get tired of thinking of what Christ did for me on that momentous day. Let me tell you my story.
I was brought up in a mainline Christian home. I went to church every Sunday but got nothing out of it. As time went on, I came to believe that God didn’t even exist. I was not a happy person. I felt empty, unfulfilled, and insignificant.
As I mentioned last time, I became involved with some strong Christians in a business. Their joyful peaceful lives made me wonder whether He might exist after all. One day while driving to work, I called out, “God, if You really do exist, I want to believe in You. Please show me.” And He did, for soon after that I heard the truth of the gospel and realized Jesus was what I been looking for all my life!
My heart was finally opened to the truth, and God opened my eyes to His truth.
“I once was blind, but now I see!”
On that day Jesus Christ gave me a new life, a new hope, and a new way of living. I am drastically different:
- This emotional yoyo now has stability in the Rock of Ages (Is 26:3-4).
- This fearful person now has assurance because God is with her (Is 41:10).
- This lonely soul now has companionship forever with the most Perfect Friend (Jn 15:15).
- This uncertain one now is certain that she is loved and cherished by her faithful Father (Jn 1:12, Jer 31:3)
- This inadequate woman now has confident trust in the One who is able to do immeasurably more than she could ask or imagine (Eph 3:20).
- This insignificant peon is making an impact for eternity because God is working in and through her for His good purposes (Phil 2:13).
- This empty heart is now filled with joy and peace (Rom 15:13).
Did you know that the moment someone gets saved, a humongous miracle occurs?
When we accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior, we—in our sinful nature—are crucified with Christ. It is no longer the old self who lives, but Christ Himself who lives in us. We have died with Christ and now have risen with Him (Gal 2:20, Col 2:12)!
Now that’s a miracle!
I am living in that miracle of new life each and every day—with the abundance Jesus promised in John 10:10. Even during difficult times. Even as a widow.
So my friends, has He done this miracle in you? And if so what will you do with it? What should our response be to this magnificent Giver of such an extravagant, eternal and undeserved gift of life?
There is only one appropriate answer:
To live our lives solely for our Savior and His glory with unreserved gratitude.
He is worthy and He is worth it!
Nothing else makes sense.
Photo by Federico Bottos on Unsplash