The Bible tells us to rejoice in our sufferings. This is impossible without God, but…
We can learn how to delight in our suffering!
Last week I mentioned 5 ways:
- Delighting in God Himself
- Delighting in His Word
- Delighting in what God has done
- Delighting in what God will do
- Delighting that our submission pleases God
Now I’d like to expand on the first one, because all the rest flow from this most important point of…
Delighting in God Himself
The Bible is God’s love letter to us. He created us for His pleasure. When sin entered the world, He made a way to restore us back into a right relationship with Him through His Son.
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen. (Rom 11:36, see also Col 1:15-20)
Our joy is in the Person of Christ
You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Ps 16:11)
“If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love…. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” (Jn 15:10-11)
When I dwell on Jesus, I feel that everything else pales next to knowing Him!
- Jesus satisfies me like no other. (Ps 63:5)
- He is my Great Redeemer, my Living Hope, my Shepherd who leads and guides me. (Job 19:25, 1 Pet 1:3, Ps 23)
- He is the Lover of my soul; my Deliverer from trouble, my Peace and my Joy.(Is 43:4, Ps 70:5, Jn 14:27, Phil 4:7, Neh 8:10)
- He is my King and Master who rules over me with lovingkindness. (Ps 103, Jer 9:24)
- He sustains me and carries me when I cannot even walk. (Is 41:10, Is 40:31)
- He is the Author and Perfector of my faith. (Heb 12:2)
- He is my Great High Priest who is always interceding for me, restoring sweet fellowship with Him as I repent from my disobedience (Heb 4:14-16, 1 Jn 1:9).
- He is my Bridegroom that I can’t wait to see face to face, and because He is my righteousness, I’ll be able to stand before Him as a spotless bride! (Rev 19:7, Col 1:19-22)
- He is my precious Cornerstone, my Rock and firm foundation. (1 Pet 2:6-7, Ps 18:2)
- Jesus is the One who saved me from an eternity in hell so I can live with Him forever in utter bliss. (Jn 10:10, Phil 3:20)
I could go on and on and on!
He is my all. For in Him I live and move and have my being (Acts 17:28).
When I dwell on the Person of Jesus Christ, it fills me with joy—even in the midst of pain! I know He’ll do the same for you.
My friend, in light of all this, how could I, how could you, not fall down and worship Him and rejoice even during times of suffering? In time, we will see that His will was indeed good, perfect and pleasing. (Rom 12:1-2)
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade–kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith–of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire–may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
(1 Pet 1:3-9)
My Favorite Bible Verses to Get and Keep Joy pdf
Also available under the Free Resource tab: Bible Verses to Get and Keep Joy
All Scripture quotations are taken from The Holy Bible: New International Version®. NIV. ® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Publishing House. All rights reserved.